How to become a licensed hackney carriage or private hire driver in the Rochford District
Before making an application, you must read about:
- Our Driver Training and Safeguarding requirements
- The criteria relating to convictions and Disclosure
- Immigration and Right to Work in the UK
- Medical Requirements
These can be found in the Rochford District Council Hackney Carriage and Licensing Policy in the 'In this section' of this page.
Stages in obtaining a New Licence with Rochford District Council
There are a number of stages to apply for a new hackney carriage or private hire drivers’ licence.
- Stage 1 – Book an initial appointment with a member of the Licensing Team
- Stage 2 – Submit application, pay application fee, skills test.
- Stage 3 – Submit Disclosure Barring Certificate Application and DVLA check
- Stage 4 – Return Group 2 medical form,
- Stage 5 - Complete driver training relating to Disability Awareness and Safeguarding
- Stage 6 - Knowledge Test
- Stage 7 - Licence issued
We’ll email you at each stage to let you know where your application is up to, if you need any documents, and where to get them.
How do I start the application process?
To start the application process, use this form book an appointment with a member of the Licensing Team.