Skip to main content

Skin Piercing

This page provides information and application forms for the following:

  • Acupuncture
  • Cosmetic Skin Piercing
  • Electrolysis
  • Micro blading
  • Semi-permanent skin colouring
  • Tattooing

(Licences for Massage, Reiki, Reflexology, and Kinesiology are issued by Essex County Council not Rochford; please visit their website in Related Content)

Who needs to apply?

Under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 (as amended), if you wish to carry out any of the above treatments, then you need to register with us. It is against the law to carry out these treatments without being registered, and you could be fined up to £1000

How do I apply?

Application forms are available to download from the Related Content section.

Tacit consent will apply to these applications. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the application completion time which is 60 days.

You must follow the byelaws on Skin piercing in our area. You can download a copy of the Rochford Council Byelaws from Related Content section.

When an application is received, the premises are inspected by Environmental Health to make sure that you can comply with our byelaws.

Is there a fee?

Yes there is a fee this is listed under ‘other establishments on the CHS tab which can be found at the bottom on the excel spreadsheet of Rochford council fees and charges in the Related Content section.

How long does a registration last?

The registration covers the premises and the person at the premises carrying out the treatment. The registration does not expire, but you will need to apply for a new registration if you change premises, and all staff carrying out the treatments must be registered.

How do I make a change to my registration?

If you need to make a change to your registration, or have any other enquiry please contact us using this form

Can I check to see if someone is registered?

Yes, you can view a list of businesses that are registered, under the Related Content section.

How do I make a complaint, or report someone who I think may not be registered?

The cleanliness of all treatment providers their equipment and premises are important. Customers must have confidence that they will not become infected from their treatment.

We want to make sure that all treatment providers in our district are registered and comply with our skin piercing byelaws.

If you believe that someone is providing these  treatments and are not registered, or are concerned about the hygiene or how they are providing treatments, we would ask that you contact the Environmental Health team, by using the ‘making a complaint’ form in Related Content.