The Environmental Health team makes sure that the businesses listed below follow Health and Safety laws.
- Leisure Centres
Some businesses are regulated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) such as
- Construction (building) Sites
What Environmental Health does for the businesses we are responsible for
- Keep a record of all the premises in our district that we are responsible for
- Keep a register of where there are cooling towers and evaporative condensers in the district.
- Carry out inspections to all High risk premises
- Give advice to the managers of the business, their staff and customers
- Investigate complaints made about Health and Safety
- Take legal Action when it is necessary if Health and Safety Laws are not being followed.
- Investigate notifications of accidents; notifications of something dangerous, or ill health caused by doing a work activity.
- Investigate reports we receive from engineers, from their inspection of machinery used for lifting and for pressure vessels like compressed gas /gas powered machinery.
- Investigate (if needed) notifications of working with asbestos
- Give advice on Public Safety for applications made under the Licensing Act 2003
- Makes sure that businesses comply with the Health Act 2006, which banned Smoking in workplaces and vehicles
- Comment on any possible new health and safety law, codes of practice, or guidance
For the latest guidance on making your workplace COVID-secure please see the guidance provided by the Health and Safety Executive. A link can be found in Related Content.