Skip to main content

Register a New Food Business

You are required by law to register a food business with the local authority at least 28 days before operating.

Who needs to be registered?  

Businesses that want to

  • Sell food
  • Cook food
  • Store or handle food
  • Prepare food
  • Deliver food

What type of business needs to register?

  • Catering establishments
  • Takeaways
  • Butchers
  • Cafés
  • Delivery vehicles
  • Guest houses
  • Hotels serving food
  • Market stalls
  • Mobile Food Sellers - Hot dog, Ice cream vans, Sandwich delivery
  • Restaurants
  • Supermarkets
  • Staff canteens
  • Off-licences
  • Sweet shops
  • Warehouses
  • Buffet cars on trains
  • Voluntary and charitable organisations

Common questions and answers

How do I check that I need to register?

The Food Standard Agency provide detailed information on who needs to register under who needs to register.

How do I register?

If you are starting a new business, or taking over an existing food business, you can register on-line. This must be done at least 28 days before you want to trade. Register a food business on-line.

I would like my business inspected and a food hygiene rating score

Once you have registered, we will inspect your business and award it a score. We will contact you to arrange this. You can get more advice on the FSA - Food Standards Agency website  FSA - Food Hygiene Rating Scheme.

Once my business has been awarded a rating score where will I find that?

Once you have had an inspection your business will receive a score rating sticker to display, and your score will be put on the FSA website. Food Hygiene Ratings Page.

Do my staff have to have food hygiene and other training?

Yes - all food handlers working with open food must have training in food hygiene and allergens. Hygiene training is provided at different levels (1-3) from a number of different training organisations. ‘Level 2’ training in food hygiene is the most relevant for those undertaking food handling and preparation. The Food Standards Agency offers on-line training for allergens (see related content).

I want to make cakes at home and sell them or give them to my family or friends on a regular basis do I still need to register?

Yes – but only If you intend do it on a regular basis. You do not need to register if you are doing this for a one-off, or not very often.

How do I register a mobile food vehicle when I do not trade from the same address?

If you use a vehicle for selling or distributing food (like an ice-cream van or a burger van, sandwich deliveries) and this is not connected with any permanent registered food premises you need to register the address where the vehicle is normally kept overnight. 

What If I use my vehicle to sell food like sandwiches that come from my café or sandwich shop?

If you use vehicles for selling food in connection with a permanent premises that has already been registered (like a sandwich shop or café that also sells sandwiches from the vehicle), you do not need to register those vehicles.