The threat from terrorism is real and serious. We have seen that terrorists can strike at any time and any place without warning, causing disruption, destruction and the loss of life.
Within the UK, the current threat assessment is undertaken by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) and the Security Service (MI5). There are five threat levels – these are:
- low - an attack is highly unlikely
- moderate - an attack is possible but not likely
- substantial - an attack is likely
- severe - an attack is highly likely
- critical - an attack is highly likely in the near future
You can make a difference. Report confidentially concerns or suspicious activity online or to the Anti Terrorist hotline on 0800 789 321. In an emergency, always dial 999.
If you are concerned about a family member, close friend or work colleague, take a look at Act Early advice