A property is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) if both of the following apply:
- at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
- you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants
A 'household' is either a single person or members of the same family who live together. A family includes people who are:
- married or living together – including people in same-sex relationships
- relatives or half-relatives, for example grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings
- step-parents and step-children
Rochford District Council Inspect HMOs at regular intervals to ensure standards are being met
Planning Permission may be required for converting a property for use as a HMO contact the Councils Planning Service using this form.
You can find out more about HMOs from Shelter.