Skip to main content

Private Sector Housing

The relationship between poor housing conditions and poor health is well documented. It is vital that issues such as disrepair, excess cold and risk of falls are dealt with, to protect public health, minimise nuisance and improve “the quality of life for people in the District”

We work to improve the health, safety and well being of our residents in a number of ways:

  • Investigate complaints of disrepair in privately rented accommodation
  • Offer advice
  • The inspection and risk rating of Houses in Multiple Occupation
  • The maintenance of an up-to date register of all empty homes targeting long-term properties to bring them back into use
  • Provide means tested Disabled Facilities Grants  for those who need to make adaptations to their homes
  • Well Homes grants for essential repairs to owner occupied homes
  • Empty Property Grant
  • Work in partnership with Castlepoint Council and Southend Borough Council to host forums for landlords and agents
  • The inspection of licensed caravan sites
  • Harassment or Illegal Evictions
WarningPlease note: If your landlord is a Housing Association you should use their complaints procedure before approaching us for assistance.

If you require further information please contact us on: 01702 318111 or email us using this form.

Private Tenant Information

Basic Private Tenant Awareness Video - are you ‘ready to rent’?

  • The South Essex Private Housing Group have worked together to produce this basic private tenant awareness video, which has information and advice about renting in the private sector for anyone beginning, changing, or already renting privately. Please click the link below to view the video.
  • Another good source of information is our tenant information pack. In this pack, there is useful content about how to rent, tenant rights and responsibilities and what to do if you experience problems.
  • Remember: If you feel you are at risk of being homeless please contact the Council’s Housing Options service for housing advice and support .