Skip to main content

Housing Register

Housing Allocation Policy 2020

  • Rochford District Council does not own or manage any property in the District; therefore, social housing for our District means housing owned by housing associations/registered providers.
  • The Housing Allocation Policy is the way that the council determines priorities for allocating social housing and all councils must have a scheme by law. Having this scheme in place ensures that Rochford District Council allocates social housing to the people who need it the most.
  • There are not enough homes available for everyone that would like one and for this reason our housing register focuses on local residents with the greatest need. Please see the Affordable Housing Stock document.
  • We only allocate around 140 properties each year and demand outstrips supply. All residents are, therefore, strongly advised to consider all their future housing options because the wait for social housing can take years.

How a Housing Allocation Policy works

  • When someone applies for housing with the council, the criteria in the Policy determines if they are eligible and qualify for social housing. If they do qualify for social housing they will join the council’s housing register (housing waiting list).
  • The Council updated its Housing Allocation Policy in April 2022.

Housing Register

How to apply?

  • If you would like to apply for social affordable housing in the District and you have a local connection to the District, you can join the Housing Register.  The Housing Register is for new applicants and for existing housing association tenants. Please see the FAQ document for details.
  • You can complete the online Housing Register Application form H1.
  • If you require housing advice please complete the Housing Options Assessment form. 

Note: You will also need to supply a range of supporting documents as proof to support your housing application. Failure to do so will result in a delay in your housing application being processed or your application may be cancelled.

Qualifying for the Housing Register

  • In order to qualify to join the housing register you must have a local connection to the Rochford District and have a housing need, which you do not have the financial means to meet
  • Local connection is either you have lived in the district continuously for the last 3 years


  • You have a close family member (mother/father adult brother or sister or adult children) who have lived in the District continuously for the last 5 years


  • You work in the District for at least 16 hours per week
    Note: The local connection criterion does not apply to certain applicants (please see the housing allocation policy, for a full list of exceptions)

Applying for the Housing Register

What supporting information do I need?

  • 2 forms of I.D for yourself and all adult members of your household (one form must be photo I.D)
  • Full Birth Certificates for all children your household
  • Last 3 months bank statements for all accounts held  for all adult members of the household including current , savings, investments, ISA accounts
  • Confirmation of employment details including recent wage/salary slips
  • Any award letter from the benefit agency
  • Proof of residency at your current address dated within one month of your application together with council tax bill and utilities bill
  • Confirmation of receipt of child tax credit and child benefits
  • Confirmation of receipt of pension
  • Proof of pregnancy
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Notice to quit or possession order
  • Proof of family residence in the district, dated within the last 5 years
  • Medical evidence
  • Proof of sale of any previous owned properties
  • Armed forces discharge papers
  • For owner / occupiers: up to date mortgage statement including proof of loans secured on the property
  • Immigration status

How will my application be assessed

  • All supporting documents must be provided within 14 days of your application.  Failure to provide these documents will mean that your application will not be assessed and your application cancelled.
  • Applicants will be placed in a banding dependent on the level of need for housing i.e. Band A or Band B
  • Note: Applicants who are in rent arrears or owe the Council any money will be suspended until the debt is cleared or reduced to a small amount

How long will it take for me to be rehoused

The length of time is dependent upon many factors including:

  • What Housing Allocation Band you are placed in.   
  • The type of property, including the number of bedrooms you require,
  • Your choice of areas
  • If you need any special facilities e.g. housing adaptations.

The current average time can be seen in the Lettings by Area and Bedroom Size page

Apply for sheltered housing

  • If you would like to apply for Sheltered housing in the District and you have a local connection to the District, please complete the H1 online form
  • Note: You will also need to supply a range of supporting documents as proof to support your housing application. Failure to do so will result in a delay in your housing application being processed or your application may be cancelled.
  • Applicants must be over 60 or over 55 with certain medical conditions. NB: any nomination is at the discretion of the relevant Housing Provider
  • Applications will be assessed in accordance with the Housing Allocation policy
  • There are specific level of savings and assets allowed before applying for Sheltered Housing- please refer to the Housing Allocation Policy section 10.2 or the shortened version in the related Content section 
  • The waiting time for Sheltered Housing is dependent upon which area an applicant may choose, however generally the times are much shorter for Sheltered Housing compared to General Needs housing
  • Please note if you are not eligible for the Council Housing Register you may wish to apply direct to the local Housing Associations. A list of these are available here.

Mutual Exchange

  • A mutual exchange is where two Housing Association tenants can swap their property subject to agreement by both Housing Associations
  • There is a list of tenants interested in mutual exchanges held at the reception area of the Council Offices at the Civic Suite Hockley Road Rayleigh and South Street  Rochford.
  • If you find an exchange you should contact your landlord as any exchange must be agreed by your and the other applicant’s Landlord  
  • If you wish to be considered for a Mutual Exchange, please complete this form.

Tenancy Strategy

  • The Localism Act 2011 required all strategic housing authorities to adopt a tenancy strategy to set out the matters to which Registered Providers in their District  must have regard when developing their own tenancy policies.
  • The Act further stated that each Registered Provider must adopt a tenancy policy to comply with regulatory requirements.
  • This strategy provides an overview of the general approach the Council would like RPs to take when preparing their Tenancy Policies.

A copy can be found in the Related Content section.

Housing for older people properties

There are a number of blocks of flats within specifically for applicants who are over 55 and in receipt of higher rates of PIP or DLA or are over 60 years of age. The majority properties are Self-contained flat consisting of a kitchen, lounge, bathroom and bedrooms and include:

  • A wide range of communal facilities, including a lounge, garden, on-site laundry, communal parking bays and a guest room for visitors (where applicable).
  • A dedicated scheme manager service for the building where you live. Your scheme manager will introduce themselves to you and make sure you know how to contact them if you have any queries. Management of the building where you live, including ensuring fire safety and compliance, that repairs to communal areas are reported and that the building is secure.
  • Helping you to access relevant agencies and services, ensuring you know who to contact and how to get in touch with them about additional support or care needs.
  • 24-hour telecare provided by the Housing Association through your emergency alarm.
  • Please note that most older accommodation does not allow pets 

If you wish to apply for an older person property, you can complete an H1 Form in the Related Documents section on this webpage or alternatively contact the Housing Allocations Team on 01702 318030.