Skip to main content

Full Plans Application

Full Plans is the most popular way to make an application and accounts for the majority of applications we receive. It is necessary to submit scaled plans and supporting information clearly showing the proposed constructional details.

A Building Control Officer will check the plans for compliance with the Building Regulations and if there are any queries we will write to you or your agent. When these are resolved an approval will be issued.

Charges for the Full Plans application are normally payable in two stages with approximately 25% payable on submission of the application and the remainder payable after our first site inspection.

To submit an application, complete the Full Plans e form or download the application form and include at least two copies of:

  • All detailed plans / specifications and calculations.
  • A 1:1250 location plan (block plan) showing the size and position of the building and it's relationship to adjoining boundaries.
  • The appropriate charge payment (please look at our Building Control Charges page)

You are entitled to prepare the plans yourself, but it is recommended that you seek appropriate professional advice which is relevant to the work that you want to carry out, e.g. from an Architect, structural engineer, or building surveyor who will also act as your agent.

For further information about the advantages of a Full Plans application, why not refer to our Frequently Asked Questions, found in Related Content.

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996

If you intend to carry out building work which involves:

  • work on an existing wall shared with another property
  • building on the boundary with a neighbouring property
  • excavating near a neighbouring building

you must find out if the work falls within the Act. If it does you must notify all neighbours who will be affected by the works.

For further information on The Party Wall etc Act 1996, please see Related Content.

Site Inspections

Please remember to notify us when you commence works.

Planning Permission - Important Note

Before the works commence you, your Agent or builder should ensure that Planning Permission, Conservation Area &/or Listed Building Consent has been obtained or that you have written confirmation that consent is not required. You can obtain guidance from our Planning section by email using this form

Health and Safety Advice

If you are having construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and you may have other duties as well. Find out more in the Related Content.

Building Control and Environmental Protection

Building Control Officers inspect many of the building works carried out in the Borough and have the responsibility for enforcing the Building Regulations. Part C of the Regulations refers to developments on or near contaminated sites and Building Control Officers work closely with the Contaminated Land Unit to identify possible contamination at an early stage of the development.

Where a site is identified as being on or near a contaminated site it may be necessary to provide reasonable precautions to prevent hazardous materials or gases from damaging or entering the building and you may be required to carry out soil surveys or site assessments to ensure contamination will not pose a problem.

If contamination is identified at any development or you think that contamination may be a problem you can call our Contaminated Land Unit 0n 01702 318047 to obtain advice on the appropriate investigation and remedial measures necessary.

Transfer of Private Sewers

The Private Sewers Transfer Regulations does not amend the Building Regulations in any way and there is no obligation for Building Control to consult with Anglian Water, unless the drain or sewer is shown on the map of sewers, in accordance with the current requirements of Building Regulation H4. However, we do have duty of care to our 'customers' and Anglian Water have asked to be consulted if the proposal does not comply with all of the standard criteria. For further information you can download our guidance note below or visit their website in Related Content

Guide To Extending Your Home

This guide will take you through the Building Control process. It is not a substitute for professional advice but it aims to show how your project will be affected by the Building Regulations. The guide is divided into chapters that contain advice about typical building projects and it is hoped that when you have read the guide you will have a better understanding of what is involved in a domestic building project. You can view the guide by clicking on the link in Related Content.