Skip to main content

Building Notice Submission

This type of application does not involve the passing or rejection of plans and is intended to enable certain small works such as bathroom installations, minor structural alterations, drainage works and underpinning to get under way quickly. Once the notice has been submitted you have to wait only 48 hours before starting the work, but the total fee for the work has to be paid when the Building Notice is submitted.

Generally it is not necessary to submit detailed plans, however, please be aware that we can ask , if necessary for further information on the construction and layout of the works.

The Building Notice process does rely on the person who is carrying out the work having some familiarity with Building Regulation requirements and close co-operation is needed between yourself and/or your builder and the Building Control Officer to avoid the risk of having to expose, alter or remove the works after inspection.

The Building Notice procedure cannot be used for:

Non-domestic buildings (shops, factories, offices, public buildings etc) including the common parts of buildings containing flats and common and shared parts of Houses in Multiple Occupation

Where the proposals consist of underpinning, extensions or new build likely to effect access to or is built over a drain, sewer or disposal main indicated on the map of sewers kept by the sewerage undertakers, or

Works involving the erection of any building fronting onto a private street.

In these cases you must make a Full Plans application.

or for further information about Building Notice applications, why not refer to our Frequently Asked Questions, found in Related Content.

To make a Building Notice Submission

Complete the Building Notice e form in the Related Content section or download the application form and send to us with:

The appropriate Building Notice charge payment, and

A 1:1250 scale location plan showing the building and at least two named roads.

Note: For New Builds and Extensions - a 1:1250 scale block plan showing the proposals size and position and its relationship with adjoining boundaries, together with a drainage plan indicating the proposed new drainage must be provided.

Site Inspections - Important note

Please remember to notify us when you commence works.

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996

If you intend to carry out building work which involves:

  • work on an existing wall shared with another property,
  • building on the boundary with a neighbouring property
  • excavating near a neighbouring building.

you must find out if the work falls within the scope of the Act. If it does you must notify all neighbours who will be affected by the works. For further information on The Party Wall etc Act 1996, please see Related Content.

Site Inspections - please remember to notify us when you commence works.

For further information about Building Notice applications, why not refer to our Frequently Asked Questions, found in Related Content.

Planning Permission - Important Note

Before the works commence you, your Agent or builder should ensure that Planning Permission, Conservation Area &/or Listed Building consent has been obtained or that you have written confirmation that consent is not required. You can obtain guidance from our Planning section by email using this form

Health and Safety Advice

If you are having construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and you may have other duties as well. Find out more in the Related Content.

Building Control and Environmental Protection

Building Control Officers inspect many of the building works carried out in the Borough and have the responsibility for enforcing the Building Regulations. Part C of the Regulations refers to developments on or near contaminated sites and Building Control Officers work closely with the Contaminated Land Unit to identify possible contamination at an early stage of the development.

Where a site is identified as being on or near a contaminated site it may be necessary to provide reasonable precautions to prevent hazardous materials or gases from damaging or entering the building and you may be required to carry out soil surveys or site assessments to ensure contamination will not pose a problem.

If contamination is identified at any development or you think that contamination may be a problem you can call our Contaminated Land Unit on 01702 318047 to obtain advice on the appropriate investigation and remedial measures necessary.

Transfer of Private Sewers

The Private Sewers Transfer Regulations does not amend the Building Regulations in any way and there is no obligation for Building Control to consult with Anglian Water, unless the drain or sewer is shown on the map of sewers, in accordance with the current requirements of Building Regulation H4. However, we do have duty of care to our ‘customers’ and Anglian Water have asked to be consulted if the proposal does not comply with all of the standard criteria. For further information you can download our guidance note or visit their website in Related Content.

Guide To Extending Your Home

This guide will take you through the Building Control process. It is not a substitute for professional advice but it aims to show how your project will be affected by the Building Regulations. The guide is divided into chapters that contain advice about typical building projects and it is hoped that when you have read the guide you will have a better understanding of what is involved in a domestic building project. You can view the guide by clicking on the Related Content.