Skip to main content


What is an Overpayment?

An overpayment of Housing Benefit is an amount we have paid you that you are not entitled to. For example, after we have paid you we find out your income has increased therefore you were not entitled to as much benefit.

When can an overpayment be recovered?

The Housing Benefit regulations allow us to recover most overpayments. We cannot recover overpayments that happened because of an official error and you or the person who it was paid to could not have reasonably been expected to know they were being overpaid.

Who can an overpayment be recovered from?

We can always recover an overpayment from the person who caused it. In certain circumstances we can recover it from the person who was paid where this was some-one different. For example if benefit was paid to your Landlord and we continued to pay them after you moved out.

How will we recover the overpayment?

If Housing Benefit remains in payment we will usually recover an overpayment from your continuing benefit. The exact amount we deduct from your benefit will depend on your circumstances and the amount of the overpayment. If benefit is no longer in payment we will send you an invoice for the overpayment.

What can I do if I cannot afford to repay an overpayment?

If you have been overpaid benefit and are worried about paying it back contact our Recovery team on 01702 318011.

What will happen if it’s not repaid?

If you do not repay us the law allows us to take action against you in the County Court.

How To Pay

You pay a Housing Benefit invoice by:

  • using our online system - see Related Content
  • Debit or Credit card – you can phone us on 0300 003 2197 or you can pay online, see Related Content
  • Standing Order – you can contact your bank to arrange this using the following details:-

    Bank name: Lloyds Bank
    Account name: Rochford District Council
    Account number: 10542560
    Sort Code: 30-80-12

    You must provide your Housing Benefit Invoice number as a reference.