Noise Nuisance

Environmental Health deal with noise complaints, and leaflets about noise from barking dogs, DIY, builders, and alarms are available to download from the Related Content section.

What you should do if you are being disturbed by a noise

Most problems can be easily resolved by politely telling the person about it, if they do not know it is a problem they cannot deal with it. If after a reasonable amount of time nothing has been done to solve the problem, you can register your complaint with us. You can do this by completing our on-line form ‘make a complaint about a noise’ using this link

Or if you require any further advice you may contact us by phone on 01702 318111 and ask for the Environmental Health, or contact us using this form

Do I have to wait for the council to investigate my complaint?

No - You can take your own private legal action. Taking your own legal action may be quicker than our investigation, but you may have to pay legal costs. Advice about taking your own action is provided in our booklet called ‘Statutory nuisance –taking your own private action’ which can be downloaded from Related Content.

Noise from pubs, clubs, bars and restaurants

You should complain to the Licensing department by phoning 01702 318058 or by using this online form. You can also phone them for advice and information.

Noise from aircraft

If you want advice or wish to complain about noise from aircraft you should contact the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) you can access their website by following the link in Related Content.

London Southend Airport

If you have a specific complaint about noise from London Southend Airport for example aircraft flights, engine testing, and associated ground operations you can make a complaint directly to the airport by following the link to their website given in Related Content. London Southend Airport is required to investigate complaints received, and report these to the council.