Skip to main content

Industrial Permits

Under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 some industrial activities need a permit. A permit will set out conditions that the business must meet to reduce or prevent pollution to land, air, or water.

Large industrial activities are issued permits by the Environment Agency, these are called Part A1 permits. But we are responsible for the regulation of some of the smaller ones known as A2 permits and Part B permits.

These include petrol stations, vehicle and aircraft sprayers, concrete crushers, dry cleaners, and a business that make fish bait.

You can find out what businesses already have a permit, or if anyone has applied for one, in our district on our Rochford Council Public Register of Industrial Permits

What activities need a permit?

Some common activities include:

  • Dry cleaning
  • Petrol Station
  • Spraying of vehicles
  • Handling of bulk cement
  • Mobile crushing and screening
  • Coating of metals and plastics
  • Manufacture or treatment of timber and wood-based products
  • Small waste oil burners

Applying for a permit or make changes to a permit

You can apply for a new permit or make changes to an existing permit by using the links below:

Application for an environmental permit part A2

Application for an environmental permit part B2

Apply make changes to a permit

If you need any more advice, you can contact us by filling in this on-line form contact customer services

Fees, and risk rating

There is a yearly charge. The amount you pay is set by the government.

Information about fees and renewal fees can be found on the Government website

Environmental Permit fees and charges

Your business will be inspected to see what risk your activities are to the environment, and you will be given a yearly risk rating.

If you run your business to a very high standard, then you will be given a medium or low risk rating. This is because you are less likely to cause harm to the environment. It also means that you will pay less in fees because you will not need to be inspected so often.

If you are given a high-risk rating, you will pay more because you will need to be inspected more often.

More information on risk rating can be found in the Environmental Permitting fees and charges link in the related Content.