This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for Rayleigh Windmill
The Rayleigh Windmill is an award-winning tourist and educational attraction, and popular venue for Weddings and other celebrations.
It is a Grade II listed building more than 200 years old and contains an accredited museum on the first floor, an exhibition space on the second floor and information about Rayleigh Mount on the third (top) floor.
Visit England has accredited the Rayleigh Windmill as a Quality Assured Visitor Attraction. Visit England is a national body that assesses visitor attractions throughout the country.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01702 318120 or email using this form.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the 'How to get there' section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is SS6 7ED to get directions.
- The Windmill is situated within the town centre of Rayleigh, just off of the High Street. This is a pedestrian area with a car park in front.
- By Train: Rayleigh has a railway station that is only half of a mile walk away. A mainline service runs between Southend and London.
- By Bus: There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the Windmill, which is in the centre of the High Street and is serviced by most buses. There is a shelter and seating
Car Parking and Arrival
- There is parking on site for 53 cars and 4 clearly marked Blue Badge parking spaces, which are approx. 30m from the entrance.
- There is a drop off point with a dropped curb 10m from the entrance.
- There is a permanent ramp leading to the entrance, with chain railings either side.
- The main entrance is a double door which opens to 1.5m wide
Main Entrance, Reception and Ticketing Area
- The entrance is situated on the ground floor with step free, level access, throughout.
- There is a seating area on the ground floor.
- The area is evenly and well lit with overhead lighting from fluorescent lights
Attraction (displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
- The Windmill is a historical, Grade II listed building and so unfortunately parts of it cannot be accessed by wheelchair users.
- A TV screen installed on the ground floor, and cameras on each level of this six storey building, allow disabled visitors to see the upper areas of the interior and the stunning view outside the Windmill
- Public toilets are situated in the Mill Arts & Events Centre next door to the Windmill with level access to the main entrance and a café area
- One disabled toilet is situated in the main entrance on the right hand side.
- The toilet height is 400mm/15.7ins.
- There are vertical rails either side of both basin and toilet.
- There is a horizontal rail on the side wall adjacent to the toilet
- There is an emergency alarm pull cord
Grounds and Gardens
- There is a small garden behind the Windmill which is on one level with ramp access.
- There are wooden benches at intervals around the garden.
All our information brochures, evacuation procedures etc. are available in large print.
Address (inc. postcode): Rayleigh Windmill, Bellingham Lane, Rayleigh, Essex, SS6 7ED
Telephone: 01702 318120
Hours Of Operation: Weds 10am-1pm, Sat & Sun 1-4pm