Some items are just too good to not be reused by someone. Before contacting the council why not consider donating your items to an organisation where they can be reused by someone in need. It’s quick, easy and free to pass on your items and some items can even be collected for free. Everything from that sofa, bicycle or some electrical items.
Freegle is an online platform that helps people give and get items for free in their local community! It’s a great way to support your local community and save items from being thrown away . The types of items you can give and get on Freegle ranges from furniture, clothing and children’s toys to soil, rubble or even pre-loved garden ornaments. You can pass almost anything on using Freegle!
It’s easy and free to join Freegle – you can join the Rochford Freegle site using the link in the Related Content section.
Hopeworx Reuse Centre
Hopeworx Reuse Centre opened in 2012 and works in partnership with The Lighthouse Furniture Project Ltd and is a registered charity. The centre sells used furniture and electrical goods and also take donations of items that can be reused or sold.
Hopeworx collect reusable items free of charge from households if they meet the standards required.
Hopeworx is located at:
33 Brook Road
Brook Road Industrial Estate
Rayleigh Essex SS6 7XJ
Tel: 01268 743232
Please see the Related Content for more information and to arrange a free collection by Hopeworx.
Due to the change in the Waste Regulations for the collections of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POP’s) items, we have from the 1st January 2023, changed the way we pick up some of our bulky waste items.
Please see below the bulky items that this will affect and the day that we will pick up these items.
Please note the following requirements for all collections:
- Soiled mattresses must be in a polythene bag which will be supplied by Rochford District Council otherwise they will not be picked up
- Mattresses must be put out by 7am on the day of collection as they may be too heavy to lift if there are heavy rains
- collections only from the boundary, or outside communal bin store
- items must be accessible and visible so our crew can find and access them – not in back gardens, not within internal bin stores, garages, behind security gates or similar
- only listed bulky items can be collected
To book a collection please call us on 01702 318191.
The charges for the collection of bulky waste (household furniture) and electrical household items are:
- £20.62 for the first item, additional items are charged £9.73 each
All items must be booked at the same time. No refunds or concessions given.
Please note, bulky waste collections do not take place on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day, Good Friday, and all Bank Holidays.
The furniture collected under the bulky waste scheme will be taken to landfill so please consider if the items can be reused before you book a collection. If items are in a good condition, contact Hopeworx Reuse Centre, please see the Related Content.
If your item is not reusable and wish to arrange collection and payment please call Customer Services on 01702 318191 during the hours of 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday to Thursday and 8:30am - 16:30pm on Fridays. Payment can be made over the phone with a credit or debit card.
Furniture needs to be presented by 7am, on the boundary of your property on your collection day above. Payment must be received by 3pm on the day before collection is due (this is subject to availability of appointments).
Below is an example list of bulky items we do and do not take; however, this is not exhaustive. If there are any items not listed here that you need collecting, please call us or contact us using this form to check we can collect these items for you.
Bulky Items (furniture)
- Armchairs – POPS collection – see above
- Baths (not cast iron)
- Cabinets (glass doors removed)
- Chest of drawers
- Chairs – POPS collection – see above
- Children's toys (such as children’s bikes and ride along cars - not soft toys)
- Carpet/carpet tiles
- Dressing tables
- Doors (not glass)
- Exercise equipment
- Ironing boards
- Kitchen units
- Garden furniture/equipment – POPS collection if they are padded chairs – see above
- Gas fires (not surrounds)
- Ottomans – POPS collection if they are padded – see above
- Sinks (bathroom and kitchen)
- Sofas – POPS collection – see above
- Settees – POPS collection – see above
- Stools – POPS collection – see above
- Table (no glass)
- Wardrobes (no mirrors)
- Wooden fire surrounds
Electrical Items (any item with a plug)
- Cookers (electric/gas)
- Extractor fans
- Electric fires (not surrounds)
- Spin dryers
- Sewing machine
- Tumble dryers
- Washing machines
Items we do not collect
- Concrete, soil & turf
- Garage doors
- Musical instruments
- Any refuse/rubbish/non-recyclables in bags or sacks
- Glass or glass items
If the item, you want to dispose of is not covered by the above you will need to organise your own disposal - remember to check for an official Waste License carrier. You can search for a licensed skip firm through comparison sites found in Related Content.
*The council does not recommend any companies found on comparison websites - other websites are available