Questions and Answers

Who are Customer Services – Planning and Community?

We are a team of Customer Service Officers who deal with the administrative duties for a range of departments at Rochford Council. The areas we cover include:
  • Planning
  • Planning Enforcement
  • Building Control
  • Local Land Charges
  • Cemeteries
  • Homelessness
  • Housing
  • Leisure Activities
How do I contact Customer Services - Planning and Community?
There are three ways to contact us.
1. Telephone: 01702 318191
2. Email: using this form
3. Post: Customer Services,  Council Offices, 3-15 South Street, Rochford, Essex, SS4 1BW
Do I need planning permission for a dropped kerb?
Building Regulation Approval is not necessary, however all vehicle crossovers require the prior consent of the Local Highway Authority.  More information
Where can I get copies of  Planning Documents?
Copy planning documents are available from the planning department upon request. We aim to provide these within 20 working days. You can request copy documents by:
  1. Email: using this form
  2. Telephone: (01702) 318 191
  3. Writing: Rochford District Council, Planning Services, Council Offices, South Street, Rochford, Essex SS4 1BW. 
Please provide as much information as possible when requesting copy documents (application number, address, references).
The charges are as follows:

A4 copy (black and white) – 10p per sheet
A4 colour copy – 40p per sheet
A3 copy (black and white) – 30p per sheet
A3 colour copy – 50p per sheet
A2 copy: 50p per sheet
A1 copy: £1.86 including VAT
A0 copy: £3.18 including VAT


Does a Conservatory require planning permission?
Some development can proceed as "permitted development". This means that planning permission is not required. It should be noted that the planning regulations treat a conservatory as an extension. More information
Do I live in a listed building?
Buildings of architectural or historic interest make an important contribution to the character of the Rochford district and many are of significant importance as individual buildings in their own right. The Council has a duty to preserve their qualities for both present and future generations.
The booklet entitled 'Listed Buildings in the Rochford District' provides the actual listed building description provided for each listed building in the district. These lists are arranged by parish and within each parish by street name. More information
Is my house in a conservation area?
Conservation areas are 'Areas of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance' (Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990).  For more advice, please contact the Planning Department on 01702 318191 or email us using this form. More information