Infrastructure Planning and Delivery

What is infrastructure?

Infrastructure can be provided by various organisations and funded through different mechanisms, and broadly includes the following types: transport, education, health, social and community (including cultural, leisure, youth facilities and play space), utilities, public services and green and blue infrastructure.

Who is responsible for key infrastructure?

Rochford District Council is a two tier authority. What this means is that we are responsible for some local services, such as kerb side waste collections, affordable housing allocations, leisure and recreation, local planning and environmental health, but Essex County Council is responsible for other key services. These include highways (roads), education, social care, surface water flooding and minerals and waste planning.

Other public bodies such as Parish / Town Councils also have responsibility for some services, such as open spaces, and some local street lighting and footpaths. Some infrastructure, including utilities, buses and trains, are delivered by private companies.

Find out about your Parish / Town Councils here


Essex County Council is the Highway Authority for Rochford District, as part of the two tier authority system. It is responsible for almost any issue on or around a road or pavement, such as potholes, streetlights, traffic lights, and overgrown trees – any issues can be reported to Essex County Council online (follow the link below). Essex County Council also advises us on highway related issues as part of the planning application and local plan-making processes.

Find out more about Highways here


As the Education Authority responsible for Rochford District, Essex County Council works with and supports us on planning for future education provision. Essex County Council assesses the need for additional school places on a yearly basis, to reflect committed new homes that are expected to be built (i.e. those with planning permission). Essex County Council is also responsible for providing buses for eligible pupils to and from their local school.

Find out more about Education here

Social Care

Essex County Council is responsible for adult, families and children’s social care. They have prepared, for example, an Independent Living Position Statement (available here).  The ‘Independent Living’ programme is designed to provide homes for people over the age of 55 whose current home no longer meets their needs.

Find out more about Social Care here

Minerals and Waste

Essex County Council is the minerals and waste local planning authority. It adopted the Essex and Southend-on-Sea Minerals Local Plan in 2014 providing planning policies for mineral provision up to 2029. The Essex and Southend-on-Sea Waste Local Plan was formally adopted in 2017 and sets out waste planning policies up to 2032. Both these documents form part of the local development plan for Rochford District.

Find out more about Minerals and Waste here


There are several different types of flooding.

The Environment Agency is responsible for managing the risk of flooding from main rivers, reservoirs, estuaries and the sea.

Find out more about Flooding here

Under the Flood and Water Management Act 2010, Essex County Council is the Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA). This means that their responsibilities include: developing, maintaining and applying a strategy for local flood risk management in their areas and for maintaining a register of flood risk assets. They also have lead responsibility for managing the risk of flooding from surface water, groundwater and ordinary watercourses.

Find out more here on the Essex County Council website

Other organisations may also play a part in managing flood risk, including the District Council, Essex County Council as the Highway Authority, and Water and Sewerage Companies.

How are we planning for infrastructure?

We’re currently asking for your views on how we should plan to meet our need for new homes and jobs over the next 10 to 20 years and the infrastructure needed to support these.

You can find out more information on our consultation, as well as our Local Plan evidence base here