Environmental Information Requests

On the 1st January 2005 new Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) came into force, giving members of the public the right to access environmental information held by public authorities like the council, the police, and so on.

If you are buying or selling a property and want Environmental information about potentially contaminated land, please see Buying and Selling a Property – ‘Environmental Information Contaminated Land’ in Related Content.

What is environmental information?

Environmental information covers information on the state of the environment such as:

  • Air, water, soil, land, trees and plants, humans
  • Information on pollution and waste including noise, energy, radiation, waste and so on
  • plans and agreements
  • Reports, cost benefits and economic analyses
  • The state of human health and safety, contamination of the food chain. Cultural sites and built structures (as they may be affected by environmental factors)

Can you refuse my request for information?

We will always provide the information where we can, but some EIR requests will be refused if they are unreasonable for example, if the information you have requested would take an officer days to put together, or If the information you have requested is for a subject that has not been completed.

How can I make a request?

If you are making a request regarding potential contaminated land, please see Related Content to download the correct application form, as a payment is required.

For all other requests, we would prefer your request to be sent in by e-mail or letter so we can make sure we are sending you the correct information you have requested. But you can also make your request by telephone or in person.

e mail us using this form and make sure you put in the subject line of your e-mail that it is an Environmental Information request. or sent to: The Information Co-ordinator, Information Services, Rochford District Council, South Street, Rochford SS4 1BW.