Applying for a Personal Licence

A Personal Licence is needed by anyone wishing to supply alcohol or authorise the supply of alcohol in accordance with a Premises Licence.  The licences are issued for life, unless its forfeiture is ordered by a court, and authorises the holder to supply alcohol anywhere in England and Wales in accordance with a Premises Licence or Temporary Event Notice.
An application for a Personal Licence must be made to the Licensing Authority for the area in which the applicant normally resides or, where the applicant has no permanent address, to any Licensing Authority.
Any future application in respect of the Personal Licence, e.g. notification of change of name and/ or address, or any notification of a subsequent conviction of a relevant offence must be made to the Licensing Authority that first issued the licence.
To apply for a Personal Licence you must: -

  • be over 18 years of age
  • possess an approved licensing qualification, e.g. National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders issued by BIIAB
  • not have had a Personal Licence forfeited in the previous 5 years

(The Licensing Authority must reject the application if any of the above criteria are not met).
The applicant must send to the Licensing Authority: -   

  • A completed application form,
  • An approved licensing qualification certificate,
  • 2 passport photographs, one of which must be certified as a true likeness,
  • Copy of your right to work in the UK or passport
  • Either a Criminal Conviction Certificate from Essex Police Date Protection or a basic  Disclosure and Barring Certificate which can be obtained from Disclosures DBS - a link can be found in Related Content.

The certificate must have been issued within one calendar month of the date upon which the personal licence application is submitted.

  • A declaration that either you have not been convicted of a relevant offence or a foreign offence or, if you have, details of the nature of the offence, date of conviction and any sentence imposed.
  • The fee of £37.00

The Licensing Authority must notify the police if you have been convicted of a relevant or foreign offence.  Where the police object to the grant of the licence on the grounds that it would undermine the crime prevention objective, the Licensing Authority must hold a hearing to determine the application.