Business & Licensing
- Business & Licensing Overview
- Business Consultations
- Business Continuity
- Business Rates
- Business Representative Organisations
- Business Support
- Food Safety
- Health and Safety
- Alcohol and Entertainment
- Animal Welfare Licensing
- Betting, Gaming and Lotteries
- Boot Sales and Mobile Vendors
- Charitable Collections
- Licence Application Search:
- Licensing Register
- Motor Salvage
- Pavement Permissions
- Scrap Metal
- Sex Establishments
- Skin Piercing
- Street Trading
- Sunday Trading
- Selling to the Council
A licence is required from the council to use any premises, vehicle, vessel or stall as a Sex Establishment in the Rochford District Council area.
Sex Establishments are licensed under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.
Under the terms of that legislation:
- A sex establishment can either be a Sex Shop or a Sex Cinema.
- A sex shop is a premises used for business which consists to a significant degree of selling sex articles. This may include businesses selling via the Internet.
- A sex cinema is any premises used to a significant degree for showing of films, which are concerned primarily with, or relate to, or are intended to stimulate sexual activity.
Application forms, advice and guidance are available from the Licensing Unit, Environmental Services, Rochford District Council, 3 – 19 South Street, Rochford, SS4 1BW
It should be noted that the application process requires that an application fee has to be paid together a fee to cover the cost of a potential hearing. If no hearing is required this fee is refunded.
In the event of any objections to the application being received, you will be sent details of these objections and offered the opportunity to make written and oral representations before the Appeals Committee, which consists of Elected Council Members.
Where an application is refused, the licence fee will be returned.
Any person using any premises as a Sex Establishment without a Licence or contravening Sex Establishment conditions shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £20,000.00.
If you need any further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01702 318111
Although there are no Sex Establishments within the Rochford District Council area, we would ensure that all applications for Sex Establishments are dealt with in a sensitive and efficient manner, and once licenced, adhere to any conditions attached to their licence.
How We Do This:
- Licensing Sex Establishments.
- Investigating complaints about Sex Establishments.
- Providing advice and guidance to Sex Establishment businesses.
Tacit consent will apply to these applications. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period which is 60 days.